What Should I Do After A Truck Accident?
Our Charleston, WV attorneys explain what to do
Knowing what to do after a truck accident in West Virginia can be confusing. Even knowing what your rights or your legal options are can be overwhelming. That’s why it’s important that you talk with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Otherwise, your truck accident claim might not receive the attention it rightfully deserves.
Our Charleston, W.V. truck accident attorneys at Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC can help you every step of the way. We thoroughly understand how the legal system works in West Virginia. We’re familiar with the unique state and federal laws that apply to commercial truck accidents. That’s why we have such a strong track record of success for securing sizable settlements and verdicts. Experience matters – and so does your truck accident.
What to do after your truck accident
If a truck driver has caused a collision involving you or a loved one in West Virginia, we strongly advise you to take the following steps immediately after your accident, if you are healthy enough to do so and it is safe enough at the scene of your truck accident:
- Contact the police – Tell the police that you have been in an accident caused by a truck driver. Ask the police to respond to your accident. That way, there will be no questions later about what happened – from the other driver or their insurance company.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you feel fine, make sure you have a medical professional examine you right away. You could have a life-threatening internal injury and not even realize it. If your accident occurred several days ago, go to a doctor as soon as possible. Many injuries are not immediately apparent after an accident.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your accident and it’s safe to talk with them at the scene, get their full name and phone number so investigators can contact them later. Eyewitness testimony can be a valuable piece of evidence.
- Take photographs – Pictures of the accident scene can be important evidence in a truck accident investigation. Make sure to take photos of damage to the vehicles, several angles of the crash scene itself and any posted road signs near the accident, including speed limit signs or stop signs.
- Get driver’s information – Always remember to get the truck driver’s name, address, phone number and insurance information. If the driver works for a trucking company, get the company’s name, address and phone number, as well. Feel free to give the driver the same personal information.
- Don’t discuss the accident – While it may be tempting to talk about the accident with the truck driver at the scene of the crash, don’t do it. Anything you say could be used by investigators – including the truck driver’s insurance company – to deny your rightful claim for compensation for your crash.
- Contact the insurance company – Tell your insurance company you have been in an accident caused by a truck driver. Initially, keep your comments brief. Depending on the circumstances of your crash, your own insurance company may take a tough stance against your claim. Always be cautious be careful what you say to insurance companies.
- Contact our law firm – The sooner you talk to an attorney at our law firm, the better. We can help you every step of the way with your truck accident claim.
These are just a few suggested steps to take after a serious truck accident. Each crash is unique. Different steps may be necessary, depending on the specific circumstances of your accident. That’s why it’s important to discuss your truck accident with a legal team you can trust to put your best interests first.
How we can help you after your truck accident
There are so many different ways our attorneys can help you after your truck accident, including:
- Explaining all the legal options available to you
- Thoroughly investigating your truck accident
- Consulting with experts if necessary
- Requesting information from the truck company, including the truck’s so-called “black box” data recorder, which includes information about the speed the truck was traveling at the time of the crash, when the truck driver last took a break and more
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Filing a truck accident lawsuit on your behalf if necessary
- Representing you in court if necessary
Accidents caused by commercial truck drivers can be complicated. Choosing a lawyer to represent you should be straightforward. Simply schedule an appointment with an attorney at Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC. We can fight for your rights and demand the money you deserve.
Demand justice after your truck accident. Contact our law firm today.
The stakes are often very high when it comes to truck accidents. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the length of your recovery, your truck accident claim could be worth tens of thousands or millions of dollars. Insurance companies and trucking companies know this. That’s why they often put up such a strong fight.
We can fight back for you. We know the law. We know what strategies work. Get the law firm that gets results. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation with a no-nonsense, Charleston truck accident lawyer who demands maximum compensation for your injuries. You can count on Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC when it matters most.