Family law primarily involves divorce and related issues such as separation, alimony and division of marital property. However, family law also includes many other matters, including child custody and child support, paternity cases, adoption and termination of parental rights.
The attorneys of Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC, have an extensive background in handling many different types of family law cases. Our experience has taught us the importance of working closely with our clients. We take the time to understand their goals, and we work hard to find the best way to achieve those objectives as quickly and fairly as possible.
Above all, our lawyers strive to achieve results that will allow our family law clients to move on in life with the peace and security they deserve.
If you are considering a divorce or need assistance with any domestic legal issue, contact us without delay. We serve family law clients in Charleston and throughout West Virginia. We would be glad to meet with you to review your case and explore how we can help you.
Our Attorneys Can Assist with Your West Virginia Divorce
Going through a divorce can be a difficult experience on many levels. We believe it is crucial to work with an attorney who will aggressively protect your rights while also being sensitive to the emotional challenges you may be facing.
At Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC, our attorneys can skillfully guide you through every stage of a divorce and handle all related legal issues, including:
- Separation – We can help you to file for temporary financial support from your spouse, or separate maintenance. We can also assist in drafting a separation agreement that addresses all of your concerns, including spousal support, child custody and support and the division of your marital property.
- Termination of the marriage – We can determine if you meet the residency requirements for a West Virginia divorce and whether you can satisfy the requirements for either a no-fault or fault-based divorce. Ultimately, we can make sure all paperwork is properly filed and presented to the Family Court judge who will decide your case. We know that paying attention to even the smallest details in a divorce can make a major difference in our clients’ lives.
- Spousal support – Our goal will be to secure spousal support, or alimony, that fully addresses your needs. We can seek permanent spousal support payments, rehabilitative support that helps you to get back into the work force or a fixed amount of support that can be paid in a lump sum or through a series of payments. We can also challenge spousal support claims on your behalf.
- Marital property division – We can work closely with forensic accountants and other experts to make sure all marital assets and debts are identified and evaluated. Whether through a separation agreement or court decision, we will work hard to protect your right to a fair share of your marital property. Our attorneys also have experience with business valuations in a divorce.
Even after court orders are entered, the need for legal help with your divorce or related issues may arise. We can continue to serve you by assisting with enforcement of spousal support or property division orders. If the need arises, we can also help you to seek a modification of a spousal support order.
Child Custody and Child Support Lawyers in West Virginia
Our attorneys understand the importance of a parent’s relationship with a child. We will work hard to protect your child’s best interests as well as your rights as a parent. We can assist with:
- Child custody – We can work with the other parent (and his or her attorney) to seek a parenting plan that will fairly allocate decision-making authority between parents and provide an ideal living arrangement. If an agreement cannot be reached, we will be prepared to present a solid argument in Family Court on your behalf. We truly realize what is at stake for you and your child’s future.
- Child support – We can work with experts to determine your child’s needs and pursue the amount that will be needed to ensure your child enjoys the lifestyle that he or she truly deserves. We can also protect your rights if you believe that you are being asked to pay more than your fair share of support.
Our family law attorneys can also be there for you and your child if circumstances change after a child custody or child support order is entered. For instance, you may wish to change a parenting plan due to concerns about your child’s safety and well-being. In some instances, a lawyer from our firm may be needed to seek a modification of a child support order.
Other West Virginia Family Law Cases Our Lawyers Can Handle
Because of our firm’s experience in the family law arena, we can assist clients when many other domestic issues arise. Our lawyers can handle cases involving:
- Adoption – Whether you are seeking to adopt a stepchild or working with an agency, we can help you with all documents that must be filed in the adoption process. We can also serve as a liaison between you and an adoption agency or social services agency. Additionally, we can help you with an appeal if you believe your adoption has been unjustly denied.
- Termination of parental rights – We will work hard to protect your rights if state officials seek to terminate your rights as a parent on the grounds of abuse or neglect.
- Paternity – Whether you are seeking a paternity determination or challenging a paternity claim, we can be by your side to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
Contact a Charleston, WV Family Law Attorney
We believe in developing close relationships with our family law clients. Those relationships are built on trust and mutual respect.
You can count on our family law attorneys to work diligently to seek the best possible outcome for you in a divorce or other domestic matter. We will pay close attention to your goals and tailor our strategy towards meeting those goals in the most timely, cost-efficient manner as possible.
When you are ready to discuss your case in a confidential consultation, call us or submit our online form. We are ready to help.
Sources / More Information