Assisted Living Abuse and Neglect In Columbus, OH
Our experienced attorneys can help you demand the justice you deserve
Many older adults need extra help with cooking, cleaning and other routine matters. That’s why many people choose to live in assisted living facilities – and that’s why assisted living abuse or neglect cases can be so frustrating. Instead of making life easier for you or a loved one, your family may be dealing with a serious injury or illness due to abuse or neglect.
Fortunately, you’re not alone. Our experienced Columbus Ohio assisted living abuse attorneys at Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC, can fight for your rights and demand the justice you rightfully deserve. We understand how the legal system works in Ohio when it comes to elder abuse or neglect. We consistently secure sizable settlements and verdicts. We’re prepared to do the work that needs to be done to find evidence to support your claim. You can count on us when it matters most.
What are different types of assisted living abuse?
Assisted living abuse can cover a wide range. Sometimes, it is staff members abusing assisted living facility residents. Other times, it’s fellow residents abusing someone who lives there. Either way, such abuse is a serious matter that needs to be taken seriously right from the start.
Some of the most common – and most serious – assisted living abuse cases we deal with in the Columbus, Ohio area include:
- Physical abuse – Whether it’s abusive employees or fellow residents, physical abuse can result in serious injuries, including broken bones, fractures, internal organ damage or other severe injuries. In many cases, a crime may have taken place as well. That’s why it’s important to report physical abuse right away to the police, then contact our law firm to learn more about your legal rights.
- Psychological abuse – Abuse doesn’t have to be physical to be damaging to assisted living residents. Verbally taunting someone, teasing them or yelling at them can cause emotional and psychological harm. That’s why it’s important to take immediate action if you or a loved one is being psychologically abused at an assisted living facility.
- Sexual abuse – Sexual abuse allegations at assisted living facilities need to be taken seriously right from the start. Whether it’s an employee or a fellow resident committing crimes, the police should be immediately notified since sexual assault or other sexual-related crimes are a serious legal matter. These cases often turn out to be very complicated. Our attorneys can help you every step of the way. We can be your voice for justice in Columbus.
Whatever type of abuse case you’re dealing with at an assisted living facility, we can thoroughly investigate and determine whether the assisted living facility failed to take the necessary precautions to protect you or your loved one. We know what’s at stake and we’re eager to fight for your rights.
What are warning signs of assisted living abuse?
If you or a loved one has been abused in an assisted living facility, there may be warning signs that something’s wrong and your loved one is being abused, including:
- Bruises on the body
- Other unexplained injuries, including broken bones
- Sudden mood changes
- Not wanting to be touched
- Not wanting visitors
- Unexplained blood stains
- Other unexplained medical problems
Don’t underestimate the seriousness of your loved one’s abuse. If you suspect something, say something. The longer you wait, the longer the abuse may continue. In many cases, physical abuse can sometimes escalate and get even worse. That’s why we want to help. We understand the seriousness of the situation and we want to hold the assisted living facility accountable for its actions. That’s our job and we take our work very seriously.
What are different types of assisted living neglect?
Assisted living neglect can be just as serious and harmful as abuse. That’s why it’s critical that your family takes immediate action to put a stop to assisted living neglect as soon as possible. Examples of assisted living neglect include:
- Unsanitary conditions – Many people living in assisted living facilities expect to have their living area regularly cleaned. When facilities fail to do so, you or a loved one can sustain an infection or experience other health problems due to unsanitary conditions.
- Lack of maintenance – Assisted living facilities have a responsibility to properly maintain their buildings and grounds. When they fail to do so, slip and fall accidents can easily happen due to hazardous stairs, uneven sidewalks or other public spaces that can and should be regularly maintained.
- Negligent security – Assisted living facilities need to make sure their grounds are safe and residents are secure. This includes having locked doors, security cameras and sometimes even security guards. When facilities don’t provide these amenities, residents’ safety can be compromised and they can be assaulted, robbed or become victims of other crimes committed due to lack of security.
- Financial exploitation – One of the reasons why many people choose to live in an assisted living facility is because these facilities often provide a wide range of services for a fee. Unfortunately, some assisted living facilities don’t provide the services residents pay for, including cleaning and routine maintenance. Other times, some facilities overcharge or double charge residents for a service or don’t perform the service at all. Either way, financial exploitation is a serious crime and we can help you hold the assisted living facility accountable for its actions.
- Poor health care – Another reason why many people choose to live in an assisted living facility is that many facilities have medical professionals or other employees who carefully monitor the health and well-being of residents. When facilities fail to provide these services, assisted living residents can develop serious injuries, infections or other health problems due to poor medical care at the facility.
Assisted living neglect is a serious matter. Just like abuse, neglect can result in serious injuries or illnesses. That’s why it’s important that you take strong legal action right away if you or a loved one is suffering from neglect in an assisted living facility in the Columbus area.
What are warning signs of assisted living neglect?
There are many warning signs of neglect at assisted living facilities, including:
- Other unexplained medical problems
- Unexplained weight loss
- Sudden mood changes
- Unexplained financial transactions
- Other sudden changes in finances
- Assisted living facility prohibits visits by family and friends
Make sure you take the warning signs seriously right from the start. You or a loved one could be the victim of neglect and the sooner you take legal action, the sooner you may be able to put a stop to the neglect. By doing so, you’ll likely be helping many other people in the same facility suffering from similar actions.
You deserve a Columbus, OH attorney who will fight for you. Contact us.
Time is running out. In many cases, you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action in Ohio when it comes to assisted living abuse or neglect. This deadline (known as the statute of limitations) is often three years from the date when the abuse or neglect occurred. If you do not file a lawsuit or pursue other legal action against the assisted living facility during that time period, you could miss out on your opportunity for justice.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation with an experienced Columbus assisted living abuse attorney at Mani Ellis & Layne, PLLC. We fight to win.